Thursday, August 22, 2013

Mexico!

It is my 7th day in Mexico.  A storm is moving in, the sky is dark, the tops of the palm trees are swaying in the wind, the lightning is flashing and the thunder is booming.  The day I arrived, there was a big storm, so big that Giovanni had to wait in the car. Now I am in our new apartment, still unpacking, watching the storm.

The heat has been unbearable.  Kind of like one of those hot, muggy, humid, sticky high 80's, low 90's August summer days in Michigan, but everyday and without air conditioning.  At least the nights cool off slightly, and this storm is bringing in cooler air right now.

The weather has been adding to my sleepiness....I have been  sleeping a lot, especially initially.  Naps, going to bed early, more naps, sleeping in in the morning and more naps.  Weeks and weeks of saved up rest time, finally available.  My body and mind need it.

I am trying to adjust to the  s l o o o w n e s s  of life here.  Forget about a plan or agenda.  It will take 3x longer than you think, even factoring in the extra time that you think it will take, or plans will change.  Naps help with this.

Since almost a week ago, I had been living out of suitcases because I know we wouldn't be staying where we were.  Someone continued to pay for the apartment we were going to move into.  So we have been looking for a new place, packing, cleaning, moving and unpacking and still in process.  Not only do I have to deal with my own stuff, but someone else's also now.  I am tired of stuff.  I should've taken Mónte's advice when he said, "just bring a bathing suit and a backpack"....3 bathing suits and 5 suitcases later...

I am also finally "plugged in" again.  It was nice to notice life without internet, and now with it again.  I like it, and I don't want it to be a huge part of my life like it was in Michigan.  It is a great tool to stay in touch with and I still don't want a smartphone. At lunch today a friend was on it too much of the time.  No different here.  I am looking for a different kind of life.  I want balance.  I think once I am settled in here and once I buy a bike, I will have more freedom to move around and get to the beach more.  My intention once I no longer need to sleep in is to get up early and go to the beach or walk in the park before it gets too hot.

Something came up that really made me notice my privilege.  I was offered a job at a bike rental place.  It would just be 4 hours in the morning 2 or 3 days a week.  It pays 100 pesos for the 4 hours and this is good pay.  Some people make that or less in a whole day.  A professional might make 150 pesos a day.  But...100 pesos = around $8 (depending on the day).

This is why my friend who hasn't seen his children in 8 years stays in the US to work and send them money.  An hours work for him in the US is a days work in Mexico. Obviously, the cost of living is less here, but in some ways not a lot here in Tulum, although there are distinct tourist and local economies. I am hoping yoga pay (or whatever I might find) taps into the tourist economy.  Yoga classes for tourists still run $12 to $15 per class in English.  Local classes, around $4 in Spanish.

So, we'll see.....

No comments:

Post a Comment