Sunday, September 15, 2013

Rain, rain Go Away





I don't know now how many days of rain we've had without sun.  And the forecast is for more and more and more.  60 to 70% chance rain through the 24th (and beyond?) Sometimes it rains for part of the day, some days it rains all day, sometimes it sprinkles, mostly it downpours.  Sometimes there is lightning and thunder, mostly not.  I guess this is why it is called rainy season.  Many times I have gotten ready to leave the house, only to have it start raining.  Other times I have left the house and even with a raincoat, had to find shelter, and still got wet.  At least it is not cold when you are wet.  They even cancel school on some days, kind of like a snow day.




And here many people do laundry by hand and hang it up in the sun.  My laundry basket is overfilled.  I could go to a laundromat, but need to carry it all on a bike.  I guess I have done that in Detroit.  We would take the bus to the laundromat before I had a car and when we didn't have a machine where we lived.  I loved having a machine to wash and dry clothes...enjoy it if you have it.  We also have a laundry line running through our living room/kitchen/dining room.  It feels so "country" as they would say, but serves a purpose.  Just part of life here.


Giovanni doesn't like doing laundry either.  He would take his clothes to a place where they charge you by weight, which is much more expensive of course.  I remember telling him, "I'll wash your clothes, I don't mind."  He told me this morning he said (in his head), "she has no idea what she is saying!  She must have a machine that does it all".





So, don't get me wrong, I do love the rain.  I love the coziness it creates, the mood where you just get to stay in the house, maybe stay in the bed a little longer, watch a movie.  You don't feel bad about wasting a beautiful day....(this is a Michigan reference...we'll see if this is ever true here).

One night I was out walking and it started to rain and instead of finding shelter, I decided to continue walking.  I got soaked, but it kinda reminded me of childhood days when we would let ourselves go out and play in the rain.  Now I am an adult. (wink wink).  There is nothing like getting wet and being a little cold and coming in and taking a hot shower.....too bad I don't have hot water!


And, it has also brought a relief to the exhausting heat that I arrived here with, that kept me wanting to stay int the house because I couldn't deal with it.  And the plants and earth are happy with so much water.  As are the mold and the mosquitoes...more to come about this.....

And you can't have a rainbow without rain.

1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing kitten sized cockroaches in Nicaragua. But I've never lived in a tropical country, only visited. Jen, I think you have something important to teach all of us gringos back home. My profound thanks for all you write. Please, please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete