Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Immigration

So, I bought my ticket.  One way for August 16th.  Originally, I thought I might be coming home in late October/early November to do some temporary work and to complete Changing Woman (women's shamanic work) and be at the closing ceremony of this.   But I am not sure there will be enough work to justify flying.  Not having that return date is making the trip seem even bigger, more "real", more "yikes!".

I am deciding to go as a tourist and see what happens, although they just changed the law that you can no longer receive a temporary resident visa (permission to work) from within the country.  I have Giovanni investigating on his end if I find work if I can just go to the consulate or embassy in Belize (4 or more hours away) or if I have to return to the U.S.

Giovanni said to me, (more or less because it is in Spanish) "come and relax and just enjoy your time.  Get to know the place and rest and paint and do whatever you want for awhile.  If I have an avocado or banana, half of it is yours, allow yourself to be  treated like a queen for once in your life, let someone else take care of you." !! (He knows a little bit of my history of my pattern of taking care of people.

So, also after talking to a good friend from Chile, I decided that moving to a new country, with a new partner, in a new house, speaking a different language, eating different food (and their bacteria),  adjusting to new customs (putting the toilet paper in the garbage, not the bowl), adjusting to a different climate, etc., might be enough to start out with!  That I don't need to start a new job right away on top of all of that either!   Which might also be just taking any ol' job just to get the visa.



2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you! Jen, this will be just the right adventure!

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. That's enough to start with.

    ReplyDelete